Iran Says Next Nuclear Talks With US Set for Geneva
Digest more
Iran, Trump
Digest more
Iran has faced suspicion for decades over its nuclear ambitions and whether it’s developing the capability to fire an atomic weapon. It agreed to cap its nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief in a landmark 2015 international deal.
US officials reportedly explored refuelling and overflight assistance as Washington and Tehran resume negotiations amid regional tensions.
The latest round of U.S.–Iran nuclear talks is unfolding against a complicated backdrop, one shaped not just by diplomacy.
The U.S. faced two very different nuclear challenges across two continents Friday. For the first time since last year’s war with Iran, U.S. and Iranian diplomats restarted indirect talks over Tehran’s nuclear program.
President Trump met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in December at Mar-a-Lago with Mr. Trump saying the U.S. would support strikes if no deal was made with Iran.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has stated that Trump prioritizes the agreement, but that dealing with Iran is "very difficult."
Fears are rising of the outbreak of another war that could spread into a regional conflict in the Middle East as U.S. President Donald Trump raises the pressure on on Iran to give up its nuclear program.
General Rafael Grossi said that developing a nuclear inspection regime to underpin a new Iran nuclear arrangement is “absolutely possible,” though extremely difficult, amid renewed Iran–US talks and rising regional tensions.